GCC BDI Director Development Programme
The new GCC BDI Director Development Programme provides a structured road map for professional director development, tailored for GCC directors.
The programme has three levels of qualification:
1. The World of Directorship - Certificate in Board Directorship
2. Mastering the Boardroom - Diploma in Board Directorship
3. Chartered Director
What is a Certified Director (Cert.Dir)?
Please see below for our standard workshop fees. Please note that all fees are in USD and are exclusive of 5% VAT or other taxes, where applicable.
The Certified Director (Cert.Dir.) is a professional designation conferred by the GCC Board Directors Institute (GCC BDI)
The designation is awarded to individuals who have successfully completed the relevant training programme and a multiple choice questions based assessment. The training programme is based on GCC BDI’s Board Director Competency Framework.
The World of Directorship – Certificate in Board Directorship was launched in January 2019.
The other qualification levels will follow in 2020 and 2021.
The World of Directorship – Certificate in Board Directorship provides participants with the knowledge and understanding to fulfill their role as board directors. It consists of four modules:
Module 1: Corporate Governance Essentials
Module 2: The Effective Director
Module 3: The Effective Board
Module 4: Board Finance, Accounting, and Corporate Reporting
It also included an optional assessment for those participants pursuing a certificate award that contains a multiple-choice examination. Participants can attend one, two, three or all four modules, but to be certified they must attend all four modules and pass the final assessment.
Module 1 - Corporate Governance
- 29 - 30 April 2019 - Riyadh, KSA
This module of “The World of Directorship – Certificate in Board Directorship” explores the roles played by the shareholders, boards, directors, executive managers and other stakeholders.
Module 2 - The Effective Director
Module 3 - The Effective Board
Module 4 - Board Finance, Accounting, and Corporate Reporting
Date: 23rd February 2020, Riyadh, KSA
Time: 1000 to 1200
Venue: The Financial Academy
Please note:all the participants who are attending the programme and wish to be certified will need to sit the exam on this date and time at the Financial Academy Examination Centre in Riyadh.
Only participants who have attended all four modules can sit the exam.
Eligibility & course pre-requisites
The World of Directorship – Certificate in Board Directorship requires all participants to:
- Currently hold or recently (within the preceding three years) have held either a director seat or a senior management position within an organisation
- This programme will be delivered in English, so all participants should have basic English literacy
Eligibility for enrollment in this programme is at the discretion of the GCC BDI Education Committee.
The World of Directorship - Certificate in Board Directorship is a programme designed to meet the development needs of existing, new and aspiring members of boards of directors and board committees.
The programme is also designed to meet the development needs of advisers and senior managers who report to the board or board committees who are interested in expanding their knowledge of corporate governance. In addition, professional executives with an interest in corporate governance may find the course to be relevant and useful e.g. media, judiciary, legal, accounting, finance and banking.
The programme is relevant for:
- Executive directors
- Non-executive directors
- Independent directors
- Board secretaries
- Board committee members
And participants from:
- Private sector organisations
- Public sector organisations
- Multinational companies (MNCs)
- Listed companies
- State owned enterprises
- Unlisted and family companies
Overview of the process
The award of The World of Directorship - Certificate in Board Directorship is dependent upon:
- The attendance of all four modules (each module is a two-day workshop)
- The successful completion of a multiple choice question assessment that evaluates the participant’s learning of all topics included in the four modules
Dates for the workshops and the assessment are set annually and are available on the GCC BDI website under our Events Calendar.
Participants should book their seats online via the website or should contact us. Participants with MBAs and or other professional qualifications will be required to attend all modules. No exemptions will be awarded.
Per two day workshop:
Member - USD 3780
Non-Member - USD 4200
All prices exclude VAT or any other applicable taxes. Pre-payment is required for all participants.
Participants wishing to pre-purchase all four workshops are entitled to a 25% discount.
The assessment fee is an additional USD 300 for those who wish to take the optional assessment.
Companies wishing to run a tailored in-house certification programme for their directors should contact us for more information.
What are the benefits of being a Certified Director?
Achieving the award of The World of Directorship - Certificate in Board Directorship means that a director has demonstrated an internationally accepted level of understanding of corporate governance, the role of the board and the director, strategy, risk, ethics, accounting, finance, control and corporate reporting.
A director that has attained the award of The World of Directorship - Certificate in Board Directorship, is equipped to make a valuable contribution to any board based upon increased knowledge and confidence.
It offers a clear course structure and development path, leading ultimately to Chartered Directorship.
It validates that an individual has the core knowledge and awareness that is necessary to function effectively as a director. The regulators are increasingly requiring board directors to demonstrate they have undertaken professional development.
Through attaining the designation, you signal to the market place that you are ready to serve as a director. Companies appointing directors on to subsidiary or joint venture boards are increasingly recognising the value that board directors can provide to their organisations and want to ensure their appointees have the right knowledge and skills.
Certification enables directors to demonstrate their commitment to professional development and to benchmark their own knowledge and skills against clearly established standards of good governance practice.
Being a Certified Director provides you with the confidence as an aspirant or a less experienced director, as well as providing the market place with assurance of your ability and competence.
The professional designation raises your profile as an aspirant or less experienced director and sets you apart amongst your peers. We will publish the list of Certified Directors on our website. You are entitled to use the designation Cert.Dir. (GCCBDI) after your name.
Provides GCC-relevant content and details of local regulations and incorporates regional aspects in course content as well as using global case studies.
GCC BDI Membership
All participants in GCC BDI workshops are eligible for free membership as an Associate Member of GCC BDI. Membership benefits include: entitlement to designation as a member of a professional institute of board directors, copies of our publications, continuing professional development (CPD) points for attending presentations and workshops, and invitations to certain of our GCC BDI events. For more information on GCC BDI membership, please see our website
Why GCC BDI?
- GCC BDI is a not for profit company whose mission is to make a positive impact on the economies and societies of the region by promoting professional directorship and raising the level of board effectiveness.
- We have a long and successful and proven track record of delivering top quality programmes and working with the top companies in the GCC over the last 12 years.
- We work with a large talented pool of top international, regional and local experts in their field, mainly practioners. Our expertise extends well beyond pure academic references and is based on tried and tested methodologies and programmes.
- GCC BDI now has the largest and most influential network of directors in the region. Our members are our greatest ambassadors.
- We believe that director development is critical to board effectiveness. GCC BDI’s unique combination of skills and experience, local knowledge and understanding, and strong corporate governance and regulatory knowledge, combined with practical director expertise is what enables us to deliver exceptionally high quality programmes.