Corporate governance is simply about how we run our businesses to ensure they are run properly, fairly and in the interests of all key stakeholders. To succeed and remain ahead of the competition, companies must adopt good corporate governance practices and skilfully navigate through market
Boards of directors are responsible for the governance of their companies, but all employees need to be aware of their roles and responsibilities and
apply the policies, procedures and guidelines which the board sets out for them.
- Corporate governance definitions, principles, frameworks and standards
- The corporate governance system
- Identification of key stakeholders
- Corporate responsibility
- Company law, corporate governance codes and regulations in the GCC
- The business case for corporate governance
Date: 10-11 February 2020
Time: 8:30am - 5:00pm
Venue: The Financial Academy
Facilitator: Dr. Chris Pierce, GCC BDI External Facilitator
This two-day workshop will:
- Identify key corporate governance frameworks and standards.
- Define and explain the key principles and elements of good corporate governance systems.
- Explain how a corporate governance framework works effectively within a company to include articles of association, board charters, company policies and procedures, codes of ethics and values.
- Identify how to respond to corporate governance concerns and challenges.
- Explain the business case for corporate governance and the corporate veil and agency concepts.
- Understand the law and regulations in KSA impacting upon companies to include good practices associated with insider trading, related party transactions, conflicts of interests and the protection of shareholder interests.
- Identify major ethical challenges facing the board and making suggestions as to how these might be addressed.
- Identify key stakeholders and recognize their importance.
- Identify shareowner rights established by law or mutual agreements.
- Identify key corporate responsibility frameworks and standards.
- Explain the business case for corporate responsibility
About the Faciliatator
Dr Chris Pierce
Dr Pierce is a senior GCC BDI external associate and the CEO of Global Governance Services Ltd. He works with policy makers, directors and boards in Europe, Asia, Africa, the Middle East, the US and South America. Previously, Dr Pierce was the Director of Professional Standards and Development at the Institute of Directors (IoD) in the UK. He has also held senior management positions in the Overseas Development Administration, British Airways and Leeds Business School. Over the last fifteen years Dr Pierce has worked as an advisor to the boards of many of the largest listed companies, banks, sovereign wealth funds, stock exchanges and financial institutions around the World. He has chaired the World Bank Corporate Governance Code Development Workshops for the Middle East and Northern Africa (MENA) on a number of occasions in Egypt and Jordan. In 2014 he was awarded the Bertin Medal in Sweden by the International Academy for Quality for his contribution to Corporate Governance worldwide over the last decade.
Who should attend?
This workshop is designed to meet the development needs of existing, new and aspiring members of Boards of Directors and Board Committees, as well as the needs of advisors and senior executives who report to the board or board committees .
Participants are required to currently hold or recently (within the preceding 3 years) have held either a director seat or a senior management position within an organization; and have basic English literacy.
Price per person for two day workshop:
Non-member- USD 4,200
Associate- USD 3,990
Member- USD 3,690
Fellow- USD 3,190
The World of Directorship
This workshop is one of 4 modules which together form “The World of Directorship Certificate in Board Directorship”. This programme encompasses the core knowledge and awareness that is necessary to function effectively as a director and covers:
- An in-depth view of the role, responsibilities and legal duties of an effective director;
- An understanding of the characteristics of an effective board and board roles;
- The issues and processes associated with formulating strategic and business plans and achieving strategic leadership. Sound knowledge of accounting, financial and risk terms and concepts; and
- An in-depth perspective of the accounting, finance, control and corporate reporting functions.
“The World of Directorship - Certificate in Board Directorship” has the following components:
Module 1: Corporate Governance Essentials
Module 2: The Effective Director
Module 3: The Effective Board
Module 4: Board Finance, Accounting and Corporate Reporting
And an optional assessment for those participants pursuing a Certificate Award that contains a multiple-choice examination.
If a participant wishes to be certified, they must attend all four workshops and complete the multiple choice exam. A participant will become certified by GCC BDI once they have completed all four workshops and passed the multiple choice exam.
For more information, please find the e-brochure here